A Crazy Year

Delaro McNeal

This year has been a series of events for me. After the terrible organization and the worry I had to deal with at my old school I’m glad that I’m here at Northland although it’ll take me a while to adjust. Even though I’ve been here for a while I’m still not used to being here. It might take a while to get used to the people and the environment I’m in. It might just be the fact that my family and friends are back in Michigan.

My year started off with a lot of panic. No one knew where or how to get to the classes and all the teachers were still adjusting to the new system of online learning. They started putting students in random programs to make it easier for teachers, or at least that’s what they did to me. I didn’t know what the accelerate program was but after two weeks I learned how much it sucked. A couple hundred students were given one teacher and that teacher assigned and graded over ten subjects whether she knew anything about them or not. The students were also given a couple random classes and barely anything to choose from.

The classes that were given didn’t make sense and the assignments we had to do were taught horribly. Sometimes they didn’t teach us how to do the assignments we were given and some of the assignments weren’t even accessible. I had a class called consumers math that I was given and it was like I was put back in segment one of drivers training. I still don’t even know what consumers math is now. There was also a class called art appreciation that they gave me but that one wasn’t too bad but sometimes they gave us an assignment and it didn’t match up with the things in the passage so we had to find info about the picture on the internet to finish the assignment. 

For the most part I was barely able to do any of the assignments cause I didn’t really understand the work. Not only that we would have a zoom call like once a month and she told us if we needed help with the work here’s some websites that’ll help. I checked them and they didn’t help at all. I never really knew if the other students had the same problem as me but I know we all didn’t even have the chance to check our grades until the semester was over. They said when the second semester started that’s when all of our assignments and tests would be graded which was the reason why I was so anxious all the time.

Part Time Employee

I had a job at the time so I also had to focus on that as well which lead be to get behind on some of my classes because I didn’t have too much time to worry about school working four to nine or tens five days a week and sometimes more. One of my coworkers had the same problem with school and told me he hasn’t been able to do most of his assignments since school started because of lack of understanding and work. I personally take responsibility for the work part.

My mom saw that I was in a cycle of just working and then doing a little bit of school and sleeping. This was the same time she left because she became a traveling nurse and started earning a lot more. She called me one day and asked if I wanted to go to school at a school called Northland in Texas. She told me and my sister that if we said yes then we would be living with a guy called George who I didn’t know anything about at the time and had no clue he was marrying my mom. I wasn’t sure about it at first so we did a trial to see if we liked it and she flew us down.

My start at Northland is

My first day at Northland was a big adjustment mainly to the way I viewed the people. I expected everyone to be mean and thought they’d test my boundaries to determine whether I was someone they could take advantage of. Instead everyone was nice to each other and welcomed me with open arms which was weird to me because normally everyone was a little hostile or on guard. But I realized that was just normal and I eventually got used to it.