Proper time to have school

Edward Li, Writer

Many things in Northland are good, but there are also many that can be adjust! And one of the most argent one to change is the school starting time.

Northland start off school at 8:00 am as when the first period begins. It’s too early, however, the school should switch the time to 9:00 for many good reasons.

First of all, most of the people that are either working here or going here already agree that 1st period is the hardest period to concentrate, and some of the teachers here even equip coffee machine to help out the students. The fact that these phantom exist indicates that the school start off too early. Most of the people that go here live 15mins away from school and some are even further away, that means they have to leave the house at around 7:30 at least. But if students are leaving their houses at 7:30 that means they have to wake up earlier than 7, no wonder why people wouldn’t still energized on first period. If we changed the starting time to 9:00, we can avoid teachers or students spend extra unnecessary time on thinking how can they stay awake in the morning.

Moreover, Amanda McMiller from the TIME magazine also reported that according to American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) stated that the school shouldn’t start earlier than 8:30. Base on their research, If the students are allowed to have later school starting time, they’ll be more focused during the day, more alert behind the wheel and less likely to be late to school.

Sleeping time can be one of the most critical element for students academic performance, if the Northland adjust the school starting time to 9:00, and it should, we are off to a good start for the students.