The CO2 emission reach a peak in the human History

Edward Li, Writer

The CO2 emission has always been a hot topic in our recent history, and many of the environmentalist people are seeking for a way to help the earth’s environment. However, despite all these “afford”, the CO2 concentrations on earth just reach a record high in the past year, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

In 2016, the average concentrations of CO2 on earth was 403.3 ppm, and the year before we had a 400 ppm emission. The largest increase we had in the past 30 years was 3.7, and we made it to 4.4 this year. It is also 50% higher than the average of the last 10 years, according to BBC.

One thing we could be proud of is that this increase in CO2 has nothing to do with the human activities. In fact, the emission from people have slowed down in the last few years. The researchers said that the main reason for the increase in CO2 gas is because of the drought which limit the CO2 absorb by plants and trees.

The interesting thing about the increase this year is that this is totally out of the expectation from the governments around the world. The result of this year’s CO2 emission can not be understood by the Paris Agreement, and they discovered that the majority of the methane growth is in the tropics and sub-tropics ares, which, no one can understand why. And “it is worrying”, according to the researchers on this issue.

College student Angela Lian said: “It is critical for people to protect environment to which we live in.”