Should Northland Have More Class Choices?

Life with Joanne

kbuntu

Hand pointing at a choices illustration on blue background.

Joanne Tiglao, Writer

At Northland, there are various electives and subjects to choose from when making your schedule for the year. However, should Northland have a wider variety of choices. And even have classes that are focused toward our future occupations?

If you look at public schools, they offer programs and classes for what you want to be when you grow up. For example, if someone wanted to go into the medical field, they would have a class focused helping you prepare before hand. Classes like these would also present the opportunity for students to explore different fields of work and decide what they want to do. Choosing one occupation and later realizing that it isn’t for you could waste time and money. However, if students were given the option to take classes that gave a preview of what a job was like, they would be able to narrow their options to what they truly enjoy.

A basic class that most public schools require freshman year is a health class. This is something that Northland doesn’t offer and I believe that it should be. In real life we will come across situations where we need to learn to take care of others and ourselves.

You could also argue that Northland is a small private school and that public schools are bigger and government funded. But a lot of tuition goes into the school and should be put into making more class options for Northland instead of spending a lot of it on sports or things that are as necessary to a school. Northland also offers online classes, but students would much rather be in a physical learning environment as if is more comfortable and personal than online.