Northland, Welcomes Mrs. Gentry!

As the new school year begins, we also have new teachers. And so far, they have all been so lovely, one of them being Mrs. Gentry. I decided to interview one of my favorite teachers this school year about her experience so far.

What classes do you teach at Northland?

“World History – both academic and AP; Government – both academic and AP; Economics – both academic and AP,” said Mrs. Gentry.

How has your experience been so far at Northland?

“Northland has been an extremely positive experience for me. Everyone has been so welcoming, helpful, and friendly.   It has been incredible to both teach and worship Christ all at the same time!”

What inspired you to become a teacher?

“I enjoy working with young people and making a difference in their lives – teaching is a profession that is never boring and is always fulfilling.  The ability to prepare young people for their future is truly humbling and such an incredible honor to be a part of.”

What brought you to Northland?

“Northland’s standard of excellence and its vision – the desire for each student to know Christ combined with the desire for each student to achieve academic excellence really spoke to me.  I love the fact that I can both teach what I love and further His Kingdom all at the same time.”

Where did you work before coming to Northland?

“I taught at New Caney HS 1995-1997; Westfield HS 1997-2010; Wunsche HS 2010-2011; Spring HS 2011-2019”

How long have you been teaching?

“This is my 25th year teaching.”

What do you think about the students so far? Have they been nice, kind, etc.?

“The students are incredible – extremely nice and friendly; hard-working; overwhelmingly well-mannered.  I love how the students genuinely show a desire to get to know me.”

How would you describe your teaching style?

“Varied – I don’t like to do the same old thing every day – I like to bring variety to my lessons.  I also like to have a predominately student centered classroom.”

What is a goal that you are trying to accomplish at the end of the year for all of your students?

“I want my students to be better people than they are now – in their walk with Christ, in their academics, and in their personal lives.  I want to inspire my students to be productive citizens who engage in politics and engage in making our world a better place.”

What is a goal that you are trying to accomplish at the end of the year for yourself?

“I want to grow in my walk with Christ and to truly become an active and involved member of the Northland family.”