The Look of Northland in 2020

My observation of campus life at northland in 2020

Evan Rebhorn

Today, me and the other students in Journalism walked thorugh part of the campus today in order to get a feel of what the vibe was like so far in this unique school year. We went around and took photos of each area while taking notes on our surroundings. Our first location was the NAC, and eventually we worked all the way towards the building 8 office.

In the NAC, things seemed very similar to the year before. Students were concentrating on work, relaxing, some in the classroom discussing with each other enthusiastically. In building 3, it was deafeningly quiet, with the only noise from students coming from the art room, and there was a strong scent of hand sanitizer.

After this, we went outside next to building 6, where we got to take off our masks and take in the bright, sunny weather, with a few trees that provided shade and an untouched softball field, which reminded me of the sports that shut down in march due to Covid-19. It was also very quiet, and there was a more normal vibe felt being outside. Finally, we finished up in the building 8 offices, where there was no sound due to staff being on lunch break, with the same glossy floor and fancy waiting chairs from last year.

After we got back from our trip, it became very clear to me that even though we were currently living through a pandemic that has changed our so-called “normal” in our lives, we’ve seemed to start adjusting to a new normal, and that is clearly seen in our campus this year in 2020.