How COVID-19 impacts our campus

The differences on our campus in 2020

Evan Rebhorn

Something that caught my eye during our walk around the campus yesterday, we visited the lunchroom and saw some students sitting at the table, spaced out from each other. I didn’t give this much thought at first, but after thinking more about this, I started to think about how else the daily events and occurances that we experience at school will change in the wake of this recent pandemic.

Firstly, as shown in the photo, cafeteria lunches during school will be drastically different. In the past few years at Northland, many students have traded, shared, and handed out food to other students. To the misfourtune of many students attending their last year, they may never buy chicken wings or sandwiches from Mr. Rogers ever again. Being spaced out in the cafeteria will be the new norm for many of us who dine on-campus, and this will hopefully be something we can get used to.

Secondly, in the classroom, interactive activities and lessons will become increasingly tricky for the teachers to pull off. With the new guidelines in place, social interaction and learning in the classroom will be something we will have to work around or disregard completely in order to stay safe for further notice. Eventually, we’ll find ways to make social distance learning work to its fullest potential, but for now we’ll have to work with what we’ve got.

Even through all of these unsure times at campus, it’s important that we all contribute to the effort by following guidelines and staying safe to help improve our campus experience every day.