New storm systems off of Gulf could be possible dilemma for Houston students

The experiences students at Northland have had with past hurricanes and how it affected them and their families

Evan Rebhorn

After Houston narrowly was able to avoid Hurricane Laura, two new tropical disturbances have formed off the coast of the gulf, and with this comes possible future delay of school if new storms continue to form. In the wake of these new developing storm systems, I spoke to a few students on what their experience with past storms was, and how they will prepare for new ones to likely come.

I firstly spoke to Blake Collins, a senior, who talked about his house being burned down and flooded during the tragedy that was Hurricane Harvey. He talked about how the experience was frightening and took his family a while to recover from. If the new storm systems develop into more severe storms, he and his family will most likely take precautions and perpare for any storms.

I alos interviewed a former student at Northland Christian, Brandon Parenti, about his experiences during Harvey. His family suffered lots of flooding in their neighborhood, and even when their own house was not flooded, many others were not as fourtunate. They had to help other families clean out the houses and pick up trash, and it took months, even years before many of his past neighbors could fully recover.

Many families experienced damages and trauma from Harvey back in 2017, and most are hoping that we stay fourtunate enough to avoid another hurricane this year. And with the threat of any major storms coming, school’s cancellation is always a possibility we have to be on the lookout and prepare for.

“Two new areas to watch for potential development in the Gulf” -ABC13