The Annual Student Council Blood Drive is a Week Away

Darin Bowden, Writer

The annual fall blood drive has come around again and student council is sponsoring the event. On October 26 the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center truck will be taking blood donations. The blood can save up to three lives and will be done during the school day.

In past years, an advertisement video produced by student council to promote the blood drive was played at chapel, so it will be interesting to see if there is one this year. The minimum age to get blood taken is 17 so many seniors and some juniors will be eligible to donate blood. Everyone over the age of 17 is encouraged to donate blood, but it is not required.

Sophomore Mirielle Canovas says, “When I can I will donate blood because I want to help others, but I have never had to receive blood.” Mrs McCathran says, “The Blood Drive started at Northland in 2010. The former Student Council adviser, Lisa Williams made the connection with the Gulf Coast Blood Center. Student Council has done three blood drives a year since then so this is our 12th year. I think the biggest success story is each blood drive we average 30 units of blood and each unit can save 3 lives so that means we save about 90 lives a year through this service! It also is something people keep doing after they graduate and they continue to give blood and save lives.”