My First Year at Northland

Wendy Jiang, Writer

7,233 miles away from China, I began my first year in the United Sates. Studying aboard is exciting for me, I dreamed many possibilities about my “new life”. However, my experience at Northland was different from what I’ve imagined, I had many unforgettable moments. I began to miss my home country after I left there, I miss all of my favorite dishes.

This year I attend Journalism, Art and Orchestra. I learned to write news stories,drwaing figures and playing the viola! The teachers are really nice and they taught me many new skills. The main courses are also fun and enjoyable,  through two semesters of learning, I had great interest in Biology and Math.

Different from my home country, students in America go to different classroom for different periods. In China students stay in the same classroom for classes while teachers go the classrooms. I was very nervous on the first day of school. Hopefully I found every classroom, and wasn’t late for any classes.

My best memory at Northland is the Orchestra concerts.I had never played any string instruments before and I knew nothing about viola. As a beginner I started by plucking and the concert this Tuesday is the first time that I am playing with my bow. It feels different of listening to the piece and actually playing it, I am very thankful to be a part of the Orchestra.