Handle Your Road Rage

Marshall Ingram, Editor

Road Rage is something everyone has or will experience in their lifetime. People think it is a way to express their feelings about something that person did, but it is also extremely dangerous. People should never give someone an insensitive gesture, or hold on their horn for a long time because it is just not worth it. One of the best ways to not get road rage is to stay calm, and consider what you have done to annoy the other driver.

On September 18, a woman attempted to run over an officer after a food fight at a restaurant. The officer was trying to apprehend her, but she was so angry that she tried to run her car over him. Students might not have road rage to this extent, but new drivers often do not know how to handle their emotions on the road. ┬áMelanie Talley has an interesting story about her road rage. “I was driving one day, and there was a school bus in front of me, and a car going 20 mph next to me. I can’t see anything in front of me because the school bus is huge. I swerve in front of the car because I was mad, and end up in the middle of an intersection while cars are coming. So I almost got in a wreck, but I was lucky.” There are a few ways to handle your road rage. If someone is tailgating you, move over, and let them pass. If the situation is heated, and you need to defuse it; you can use an “I’m sorry” signal like a wave. Mr. K Rogers said it best, “Don’t get road rage.” Also, try to stay in a good mood when driving. If you are happy it is hard to get mad at things that you cannot control.

Students need to remember that one gesture or signal can do a lot more than you think. No argument is worth a serious injury. Just remember to stay calm and in a good, happy, mood. If someone is mad at you on the road; stay away from them. Let them get over, and continue with your day. Just put a reminder in your head to stay safe.