NCS Choir Stepping to the Next Level

NCS Choir Stepping to the Next Level

Reilly Forsyth, Writer

There has been quite a few different choir teachers over the last few years. Most recently Mrs. Tabitha Glass has taken up the challenge in leading the choir team. The choir has improved greatly under Mrs. Glass’ leadership. Over the years of the choir room has seen many changes from rearrangements all the way to being shortened. Mrs. Glass not only has been a strong leader in choir but also in the middle school chaplain role.

According to Mrs. Glass, “Choir has changed over the years as the leadership has changed.  Each director that comes in has a different set of priorities.  However, there are so many things that have remained constant.  The main constant is the opportunity for students to learn more about music, develop their own vocal muscles, and learn how to blend within and ensemble and work as a team. Our major accomplishment is the ability to work and function as a team, a unit.  We are many members, but each must bring their own talent, hard work, and dedication to excellence in order for us to succeed.  We can be a choir made up of talented singers, but if we don’t work together then we will never be a good choir. I love both aspects of my job.  It’s very challenging trying to run a choral program AND the spiritual life aspects of the school, but I am glad I get to do the things I am most passionate about – music and helping young people to develop their relationship with God.  I want to do both things well and it can be a challenge to divide my time and energies between the two.  As the choir director, I love being able to sing and make music with students and see them develop their God-given talent.  As chaplain, I love being able to work with students across the school and witness their passion for Christ. I couldn’t say how many class has changed from previous directors because I wasn’t in their classes to witness it. We always look forward to concerts and the ability to showcase our hard work.  We also look forward to individual competitions and opportunities to earn honors.  Our High School choir members recently auditioned for Region Choir and 7 of them were selected.  Of those 7, 5 of them moved on to the All-State level of judging, which happens today.  These auditions are chances to develop individually.”

The big question is, what is next for the choir team? Is it some big performance, is it just practicing, etc. With the leadership of Mrs. Glass, great things are for sure to come again from the choir team. The choir team has done many great things in the past. Not only just for judges, but for the elderly and hospitals as well.