Why Phones Should Be Used In Class

Electronics are used in everyday life; projectors in class, computers for teens to do homework, and much more. But why can’t students use cellphones in class for academic purposes? Even though everyone focuses on the negative reasons on why phones shouldn’t be used in class, there are plenty of good benefits. After reading the reasons of why we should have phones in class can change your perspective.

As we all know, the world is becoming dangerous with dozens of crimes, robberies, natural disasters, and so on. Every parent should always want to have some way to contact their child or teen in case of an emergency, which is one of the benefits of having a cellphone in class. If your child or teen was ever in danger or had an emergency, they could easily use their phone to contact their parents. In the United States, with all the gun violence going around having a cellphone with their child can also add another layer of security for the parent.

On useoftechnology.com states, “Also, our children or students face many predators while at school or off campus, children kidnappers are on the rise, so it is a must for schools to allow cell phones in schools. Maybe to reduce the distraction caused by these gadgets, teachers can simply regulate the time of using of cell phones in school. Cell phones can be used by students to report any emergency; students can contact their parents if the school has closed because of a natural disaster or any other abrupt cause.”

Having cellphones in class can also help with social/communication skills in a classroom. This could help shy or introverted students to engage in extroverted actions or activities, especially when they feel uncomfortable. It would also be the easiest way for students to keep in contact or communicate with their teachers or coaches. There are also plenty of apps that teachers can use to communicate to kids or teens in an effective way that gets their attention. Teachers can even send mass text messages to students on their phones where they mostly spend their time. Sending a mass text message can be even a reminder for some students. Having reminders can also help or lead them to have a schedule so they could become more organized person in their life leaving them stress free. Also, students can build research skills. It could be beneficial when they are in high school or college and they already know how to research a specific topic or person.

All these benefits make having a phone in class a great decision, which is why I think Northland should allow us to have them in class. On topcoat.com it states some statistics on how effective having phones in class can be. 75% of students feel that digital devices help them learn more effectively, 94% of students want to use cellphones in school for academic purposes, and 41% of students have used Google on their cellphones to find answers to classroom questions. If cellphones can actually benefit students to help them improve grades, social skills, and more, then phones should be incorporated in classes.