International Student Joins the Orchestra

Wendy Jiang, Writer

https://youtu.be/ylyTd8-jWnk

Upon entering Room 609, one would find several students playing the violin, viola, cello and bass.  The students sit in semicircle fashion surrounding their teacher, Mrs.Hearn, while she plays the keyboard.  The first few lessons for beginners of viola involve learning how to read the notes and scales.  After students are able to play some simple notes, they start practicing with the group.  As other students play their instruments, beginners join in by plucking with their fingers.  Usually Mrs.Hearn starts the class by warming up with some simple scales from the practice book and then she moves onto playing pieces from Hymns of Praise and Worship arranged by Don Hart.

One of the most exciting parts of orchestra class is when students play the notes or rhythms and try to earn Hearn Musical Dollars.  Which ever student gets the notes correct wins a Hearn Musical Dollar.  Students get very competitive and raise their hands high to get the chance to answer correctly.  At the end of the semester, students can trade the Hearn Musical Dollars in for various prizes.  Sometimes during class breaks, Mrs. Hearn assigns students to bring snacks to class to share with everyone, which is very yummy!

Many of the middle school and high school students start playing their instruments in the Orchestra as early as 3rd grade.  One can see why students enjoy Orchestra class after a few lessons, because they seem to have a lot of fun while learning to play an instrument at the same time.  All of the orchestra students are very nice and helpful to new musicians, so it is easy to fit in.  Mrs.Hearn is a very good teacher,  and she plays the violin extremely well!

According to eighth grade orchestra student Meredith:”Orchestra is fun! A different learning experience.”

Mrs.Hearn:”I’m so fortunate to be able to start the students in 3rd grade at Northland. It’s so wonderful to be able to see and hear them progress and to be able to create music with them!! One of my favorite concerts is when we prepare for chapel. The students are able to use the gifts they’ve been blessed with to share God’s love with others. I’ve been lucky enough to travel on mission trips as a musician, and music knows no language barrier. I love watching the students grow into talented musicians and more importantly, young men and women who love God and can give back to Him!”

img_3556