The student news site of Northland Christian School

The Claw

The Claw

The Claw

Northland’s Service Hour Program Serves to Add Awareness

Service hours are important, not only so you can graduate but also towards the community. Northland has decided to add clarity towards its service hour program. It is 15 hours per year for middle school and 20 hours per year for high school. Mrs. Domingue is the Director of Community Service for Northland.

Director of Community Service, Mrs. Domingue said, “Last year the Northland community service program was relaunched under the name ACTS, with the biblical foundation of Acts 1:8. The purpose of serving in our community was made the central focus. The limit of hours earned at Northland was lifted.  We created community by providing everyone on campus with an ACTS shirt, initiated a secondary monthly newsletter and several campus wide service projects. The program is growing with heightened awareness of students and parents as to the guidelines and immediate access to hours through FACTS.”

A sophomore said, “I think it has done a pretty good job thus far. I think the policy is bit too harsh involving the non profit rules. I believe it would be better to give more grace involving not meeting the 20 hour requirement per year and not being able to exempt your finals.” Chase H also said, “I think 20 service hour a year is not bad at all. I don’t really like the idea of students not being able to exempt service hours if you don’t meet the yearly quota. However I get that it is a rule. I think the service hour program will do really well this year as I don’t think there are any flaws.”

With the new program reformed under the name ACTS, we can all hope that it serves as a firm foundation for the service program. Obviously, it sounds to some of the students that it has thus far. We all shall see how the ACTS program continues to develop. Yet, develop not only on a personal level but on a spiritual level as well.